Acid attack survivor, 26,marries the sweetheart in Lucknow

An acid attack survivor has married her sweetheart after he stood by her throughout treatment, while her family disowned her.
Kavita Baruni, 26, from Lucknow, in Uttar Pradesh, northern India, married ‘love of her life’ Nitesh Verma, 27, after she was savagely attacked by a man she rejected.
Even though her family turned her back on her as she fought to bring her attackers to justice, Nitesh remained by her side. 
The pair wed on April 17 surrounded by close friends and the medical team who helped her recover.   She said: ‘It was the best day of my life. I’ve never felt so blessed. I married the man I have always loved and there’s no better feeling than that.
‘My attacker believed my life was ruined and no one would marry me but my husband never left my side and supported me throughout. I cannot ever thank him enough.’
Kavita met Nitesh in 2011 when the pair worked in an office together and they soon became partners.  
Kavita met Nitesh in 2011 when the pair worked in an office together and they soon became partners. He encouraged her to speak out against her attackers
Kavita met Nitesh in 2011 when the pair worked in an office together and they soon became partners. He encouraged her to speak out against her attackers
One of Kavita’s neighbours, Saif, 25, got jealous and the office worker was attacked by two men in June 2012.  
Kavita was taken to a local government hospital where doctors confirmed the acid had melted away parts of her face, scalp, shoulders and hands.
She said: ‘I was devastated. It was a very dark time for me. I felt I had lost everything, even the hope to live. I remember the excruciating pain, but also the realisation that I had changed. I didn’t look like me anymore.
‘I started believing nobody would accept me, I distanced myself from Nitesh, I didn’t want anyone near me. But Nitesh refused to leave my side. 
'During many difficult days he would still visit and spend his evenings and weekends with me. When I was down he’d encourage me to fight.’
Kavita reported her attackers to police after Nitesh encouraged her to speak out.  
She said: ‘Nitesh made me fight for my rights and to get justice. 
‘He made me realise I should not allow anyone to get away with this. I became determined to see my attackers behind bars.’





Previous Post Next Post